Anthony Joshua is ordered to defend his WBO heavyweight title against mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk following the collapse of his mega-fight with Tyson Fury this summer
- Anthony Joshua has been ordered to fight Oleksandr Usyk by the WBO
- The Ukrainian is the mandatory challenger to Joshua’s heavyweight title
- Joshua had been set to face Tyson Fury in a mega-fight this August
- That collapsed when Fury was ordered to fight Deontay Wilder for a third time
Anthony Joshua has been ordered by the WBO to defend his heavyweight title against mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk following the collapse of his clash with Tyson Fury.
Joshua was all set to face his fellow Brit in Saudi Arabai in August but an arbitration hearing told Fury he must face Deontay Wilder for a third time.
Now Joshua must also face another bout before a potential clash with Fury. Eddie Hearn requested an extension until May 24 to ‘show cause’ notice in order to ‘discuss the subject matter and other related affairs’ with Joshua, but Usyk’s team objected.
Anthony Joshua (left) has been ordered to fight mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk (right)
The WBO sided with the Ukrainian and the two heavyweights now have until May 31 to agree a deal before purse bids will be called.
Usyk beat Derek Chisora in October and is undefeated in all of his 18 fights.
Joshua called Fury a fruad in a social media spat earlier this week after the Gypsy King was ordered to fight Wilder.
Joshua was set to face his fellow Brit in Saudi Arabai in August but an arbitration hearing told Fury he must face Deontay Wilder for a third time
He wrote on Twitter: ‘@Tyson-Fury the world now sees you for the fraud you are. You’ve let boxing down!
‘You lied to the fans and led them on. Used my name for clout not a fight. Bring me any championship fighter who can handle their business correctly.’
Joshua’s tweet provoked an immediate response from Fury, who had taken to the social media platform to effectively confirm the Saudi bout just hours before the seemingly unexpected US ruling this week.
Amid an expletive-ridden rant, Fury wrote: ‘Spouting absolute s***! Your full team knew there was an arbitration going on, it was out of my hands!
Fury confirmed he had signed the contract to face Wilder on July 24 while backstage at Josh Taylor’s unfication fight with Jose Ramirez.
In a video posted by Top Rank Boxing on Twitter, Fury said: ‘Wilder three fight because Wilder’s a p****, excuse-maker and a s***house. Shall we do it and put him out of his misery?
The 31-year-old labelled Fury a fraud and accused him of lying to the fans in a social media spat
‘Put him seriously smashed to bits, crack the other side of his skull, give him another shoulder injury, another bicep injury, a leg injury, nut**** injury, the whole lot.’
The camera then showed Fury putting pen to paper before he fired another warning to Wilder.
‘Wilder, contract’s signed, you’re getting smashed,’ he said.
‘When I say smashed, I mean smash, smash, smash. You’re getting knocked out, end of, one round, you’re going, I’ve got your soul, your mojo, everything. I own you.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article