‘I hope the apology is as loud as the disrespect!’: Conor Benn doubles down on claims he is a clean athlete after failing a drugs test before his cancelled Chris Eubank Jr bout… despite now being the subject of a UKAD probe
- Conor Benn has seemingly doubled down on claims that he is a clean athlete
- The 26-year-old failed a drugs test before his cancelled Chris Eubank Jr fight
- Sportsmail understands ‘The Destroyer’ is now being investigated by UKAD
- But Benn has repeatedly pleaded his innocence since the bombshell news
Conor Benn has doubled down on claims he is a clean athlete following the revelation of his failed drugs test last week.
The 26-year-old, who was due to fight Chris Eubank Jr on October 8, tested positive for banned substance clomifene, a women’s fertility drug which is classified under hormone and metabolic regulators and can increase testosterone in men.
Despite efforts from both parties – who Sportsmail understands were aware of the failed test from September 23 – to proceed with the event, it was eventually axed after the British Boxing Board of Control prohibited it from taking place.
Benn appeared at last Wednesday’s fight-week public workout just hours after Sportsmail broke the bombshell news, then pleading his innocence and stating the fight, in his mind, was still on.
‘The Destroyer’ then took to social media after the fight was officially called off, insisting he is a clean athlete and stating he was ‘completely shocked and surprised’ by the findings.
A number of boxers, both active and retired, have since called for Benn to be banned for life, and the Briton has now taken to social media once more to respond.
In an Instagram story, Benn wrote: ‘I hope the apology is as loud as the disrespect!’
Conor Benn has doubled down on claims he is a clean athlete after Sportsmail broke the news of his failed drugs test last week
Benn was due to fight Chris Eubank Jr (left) on October 8 before the scheduled bout was axed
Sportsmail understands Benn is set to be formally investigated by the UK Anti-Doping Agency (UKAD), however, with the Briton facing a possible ban of up to four years.
Sportsmail also understands Benn is being investigated over claims he failed a separate drugs test prior to the one which forced the 11th-hour cancellation of last Saturday night’s fight.
The potential second failed drugs test – also for clomifene – is said to have taken place earlier this year. And, if proven to be true, could lead to a suspension of over four years, the customary length for a single violation.
Benn clearly remains adamant he is innocent, however, insisting he will be owed a hefty apology.
Benn took to social media on Wednesday morning to insist he will deserve an apology
‘The Destroyer’ has protested his innocence following Sportsmail’s bombshell revelation
The boxer’s sentiments echo that of his father, Nigel, who was in his camp throughout the build-up to the legacy bout.
The legendary figure insisted his son is a ‘faithful trainer’ in an emotional Instagram post last week.
He said: ‘I love my son and I know he doesn’t cut any corners, he just goes straight at it, 100 per cent.
‘We’ll keep you informed. We’ll let you know what the next step is, but he’s a faithful trainer and he’s a clean athlete. Speak to you all soon. God bless.’
Benn’s father, Nigel, has also leapt to the defence of his son in the aftermath of the failed test
Benn’s trainer, Tony Sims, has also leapt to his defence, insisting: ‘Having spoken to Conor personally in length surrounding the subject and listening to him, I support him as a coach and a friend.’
Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn, speaking during a brief press conference following the cancellation of the fight, insisted it was being postponed, rather than axed entirely.
Benn is currently not suspended by the British board, having only had his A-sample tested, with a B-sample requiring a request from the fighter.
One expert close to this case told Sportsmail: ‘This has not happened with Benn and that is the cause of the delay.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article