Hearn says 'no impact' on Joshua v Fury megafight despite Kinahan role

Eddie Hearn insists suspected crime boss Daniel Kinahan’s involvement in boxing will have ‘NO impact’ on Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury’s £200m megafight after BBC Panorama revealed he hasn’t stepped away from the sport

  • Daniel Kinahan was revealed to be still involved in boxing by a BBC documentary 
  • Tyson Fury is set for a dream heavyweight unification bout with Anthony Joshua
  • The Gypsy King name-checked Kinahan last year for brokering the fight with AJ 
  • Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn insists there will be no impact on the Fury fight

Eddie Hearn insists the proposed £200million megafight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will not be tarnished by the long shadow of suspected crime boss Daniel Kinahan.

Kinahan has advised Fury and other British fighters, despite being accused of running a gang linked to multiple murders and a drugs empire worth €1billion.

The suspected gangster has no criminal convictions but controversy over his involvement within the fight game resurfaced after a BBC Panorama documentary this week confirmed he had not stepped back from boxing.

Eddie Hearn says the spotlight on Daniel Kinahan won’t harm boxing’s wider reputation

Tyson Fury praised Kinahan last June for brokering deal to fight Joshua in the future

Fury publicly name-checked Kinahan last June, praising him for brokering the skeleton two-fight deal with AJ for the undisputed heavyweight title.

With the two sides now finalising the biggest fight in British boxing history, Hearn was asked if he is concerned that the spotlight on Kinahan could harm boxing’s wider reputation.

He said: ‘No. No impact. The fight is much bigger. It’s so big it will be the only thing discussed in my opinion among the fans. Whether that’s the same for the media I don’t know.

‘But (there will be) no impact on the fight at all. Right now, the emails and phone calls are with Bob Arum and Top Rank and Tyson Fury’s Team. He’s within his rights to appoint whoever he wants.’

Hearn also said no sponsors or TV companies had contacted him over the issue, adding: ‘That news broke to the boxing world quite a long time ago. 

‘I think it reached a bigger audience (with the documentary)… for me, it’s business as usual. 

Hearn says Joshua’s proposed fight with Fury is bigger than the drama surrounding Kinahan

Irishman, Kinahan (pictured) based in the UAE and a suspected crime boss, was the focus of a new BBC Panorama which claimed he has not stepped away from boxing entirely

‘We are so focused on the schedule and making the fights. From February 13 we have a show every week until the last one we are planning which is May 8.’

Back in 2012, Kinahan helped found MGM – now MTK Global – which has morphed into the most powerful management company in world boxing.

MTK insist he no longer has any ties to the company but they confirmed to Panorama that Kinahan still advises fighters. 

British boxing chief Robert Smith has since admitted they are powerless to curb his involvement.

The Irish courts have named him as the head of a cartel which is involved in drug trafficking, money laundering and gangland executions.

Kinahan moved to Dubai in 2016 but his involvement in boxing has been raised in both the British and Irish parliaments.




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article