Oscar Rivas is ‘the best and logical choice’ for Tyson Fury’s homecoming fight in December ahead of showdown with Anthony Joshua next year, claims Colombian’s co-promoter
- Tyson Fury is searching for an opponent for his next fight this December
- Gypsy King’s trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder was cancelled this week
- It has cleared the way for Fury to fight British rival Anthony Joshua next year
Oscar Rivas has been proposed as ‘the best challenge’ for Tyson Fury in his homecoming fight this December.
The Gypsy King is set to return to the ring in a London-based fight this year after turning his back on a trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder.
Fury confirmed Sportsmail‘s initial report that the proposed December fight had been scrapped, stating that ‘enough was enough’ and that he was unwilling to be messed around in making it happen.
Tyson Fury’s proposed trilogy bout against Deontay Wilder was finally cancelled this week
Oscar Rivas has been put forward as a potential opponent for Fury’s next fight in December
Rivas was defeated by Dillian Whyte in his last fight in the ring at the O2 Arena last July
It has cleared the way for a showdown with Anthony Joshua next year, and Rivas has emerged as a potential warm-up bout.
‘Oscar is fit, available, ranked No 8 by the WBC and would gladly take the challenge,’ his co-promoter Yvon Michel told Sky Sports.
‘Now for December I believe Oscar would be the best and the logical choice for Fury in his first title defence.
‘We know Fury loves challenges and fights for the fans. Fury has written the best story of all for a fighter who became a heavyweight champion of the world and I am sure he is aware of Rivas’ story.
Frank Warren revealed this week that Fury will have a warm-up bout before facing Joshua
Warren is hopeful the fight between Joshua (left) and Fury (right) can be held in the UK
‘Rivas would be the best challenge and a fan-friendly fight. Oscar is in training and was supposed to fight on December 19 as co-feature on the Fury vs Wilder fight.’
Rivas has not entered the ring since he was defeated by Dillian Whyte at the O2 Arena in July last year.
Fury’s promoter Frank Warren confirmed this week he will come back to the UK for a warm-up bout following four successive fights in America.
‘Tyson has said enough is enough, he is not going to wait longer and he will fight in London in December,’ Warren told talkSPORT.
‘That is what will happen. We haven’t finalised who it will be or anything yet, but that is what will happen.
The cancellation of the trilogy fight has opened the door for Fury to fight Joshua (above)
‘As far as he is concerned, that contract [with Wilder] is at an end. It can’t go on forever. Everybody has worked hard to get the Wilder fight on, but it’s just not happening.’
Joshua will have to defend his WBA, IBF and WBO titles against mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev on December 12 before he can fight Fury.
The all-British fight is understood to be earmarked for the spring at Wembley Stadium, if the government lifts fan restrictions by then, or in either the Middle East or China.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article