‘We’ll fight him any date, any place’: Deontay Wilder’s promoter Shelly Finkel insists the Bronze Bomber DOES still want to face Tyson Fury in trilogy bout… but the Gypsy King has already moved on and wants to fight in December this year
- Tyson Fury beat Deontay Wilder in their second fight in Las Vegas in February
- Wilder enacted a rematch clause for the fight but it was delayed this year
- Now Fury and his team have moved on, as he wants to fight in December
- But Wilder’s promoter Shelly Finkel insists the American still wants to fight
Deontay Wilder will still face Tyson Fury on ‘any date, any place’ in a trilogy fight, says the American’s co-promoter Shelly Finkel.
The Bronze Bomber enacted his rematch clause after losing to Fury in February, the first defeat of his career, but the third bout has been delayed due to the coronavirus crisis.
With Fury’s team insisting the clause expired this month, the Gypsy King has moved on to alternatives and is keen to fight in the UK in December, but Finkel insists Wilder still wants to make amends for his loss earlier this year.
Deontay Wilder still wants to fight Tyson Fury in a trilogy fight, says his co-promoter
Fury recorded a stunning victory over Wilder during the second of their contests in February
‘Deontay and I would like to have the next fight, as planned, against Fury,’ Finkel told ESPN.
‘We’ll fight him any date, any place.’
But Fury’s promoter stateside, Bob Arum, insists Wilder and Finkel have already missed the boat.
‘We couldn’t get an appropriate date, until it was next year,’ Arum said recently.
Shelly Finkel (left) insists the Bronze Bomber will fight Fury again ‘any date, any place’
But Bob Arum, who is Fury’s promoter in the US, insists the rematch clause has already expired
‘Tyson said, ‘No, I want to fight in December,’ and so that’s what we arranged in England. We had a contract (with Wilder), but it expired.’
Now Arum, who represents the 32-year-old with Top Rank in the US, has named Agit Kabayel, Michael Hunter and Efe Ajagba as potential opponents – Oscar Rivas and Charles Martin are also in the running.
Fury’s co-promoter Frank Warren had earlier confirmed that he will return to action in December with a London-based fight.
The Gypsy King confirmed Sportsmail’s initial report that the proposed December fight against Wilder had been scrapped, stating that ‘enough was enough’.
The Gypsy King, who is unbeaten, looks set to return in a fight in the UK before the year is out
Fury’s announcement has cleared the way for a blockbuster heavyweight unification clash with Anthony Joshua in 2021, but Warren has confirmed he will come back to the UK for a warm-up bout against an unconfirmed opponent following four successive fights in America.
Joshua, meanwhile, will have to defend his WBA, IBF and WBO titles against mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev on December 12 before he can fight Fury.
The all-British fight is understood to be earmarked for the spring at Wembley Stadium, if the government lifts fan restrictions by then, or in either the Middle East or China.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article