Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott on Tuesday denied reports that he hosted a large party at his Texas home last week.
Prescott made the denial in a statement to USA Today Sports.
“I understand and accept that there are additional responsibilities and media scrutiny that come with being an NFL quarterback, but it is very frustrating and disappointing when people provide completely inaccurate information from anonymous sources, especially now,” Prescott said. “To set the record straight, I know that we all need to do our best to socially distance and like everyone else I am continuing to adjust to what that requires. But the truth is that I was with fewer than 10 people for a home dinner — not a party — on Friday night.”
Prescott caught a lot of flack after a TMZ report said as many as 30 people were in attendance at Prescott’s house in Prosper, Texas, north of Dallas.
Prosper police received an anonymous call Friday night that Prescott’s gathering violated social distancing guidelines. An officer went to Prescott’s house to check but was unable to verify the report. Prescott was not issued a citation but was instead reminded of recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to limit social gatherings to no more than 10 people.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott last month issued an executive order in accordance with those guidelines.
“I am very sensitive to the challenges we are all facing and making sure to support the first responders and medical personnel and everyone else putting in long hours,” Prescott said in the statement. “We are all at a time when we need to keep educating ourselves about the importance of health and isolation during this pandemic.
“I will continue to make sure to do my part by following the guidelines until we are approved to start returning to normal activities.”
NFL MOCK DRAFT: Complete 7-round edition pairs Patriots, Raiders, Colts with new QBs
TMZ also reported that Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott was at Prescott’s gathering, though that has yet to be confirmed and Elliott has yet to comment publicly on the matter.
Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones was asked Tuesday about Prescott and Elliott adhering to social-distancing guidelines. Before the reports of Prescott’s gathering, the two were seen in a workout video with former Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant.
“Yes, we certainly have communicated with Dak and Zeke, and I think they’re certainly aware now of how sensitive these situations are,” Jones said Tuesday on Dallas radio station KRLD-FM. “I don’t think you’ll be seeing that anymore. They’re certainly guys we have the utmost respect for. And I certainly know they understand the sensitivity of the situation we’re in today. It’s certainly very serious and something that we know, certainly know, they understand.”
Source: Read Full Article