Eddie McGuire is back at the 11th hour.
The media mogul is reportedly set to make his return from the TV wilderness on Wednesday night after he was reportedly left shattered at the circumstances surrounding his demise at his beloved Collingwood Football Club.
The 56-year-old left figures close to him concerned about his health and wellbeing after being shown the door at the Magpies and reportedly went radio silent when contacted by some friends and family following the press conference announcing his decision to walk away from the club.
Five weeks later, he is set to make a dramatic return to TV screens on Wednesday night as host of Channel 9’s Footy Classified, a show produced by McGuire’s Jam TV media company.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Collingwood President Eddie McGuire leaves Collingwood. Picture: Alex Coppel.Source:News Corp Australia
McGuire’s personal situation reportedly left bosses at the network still worrying about his involvement right up until the last minute with understudies ready to step in as a replacement.
McGuire also has regular hosting commitments with Fox Footy during the AFL season.
The footy network earlier this month also set up contingency plans to replace McGuire for the opening rounds of the 2021 AFL season, beginning on Thursday night.
His involvement with Fox Footy this weekend has not been confirmed publicly.
Mystery continues to surround McGuire’s return with a report from tvblackbox.com claiming Channel 9 still hadn’t confirmed he would host the show on Wednesday night as late as 1pm (AEDT) on Wednesday.
However, a contrasting report fromThe Herald Sun claimed on Wednesday McGuire attended a production meeting ahead of Wednesday’s show and also returned to pre-record episodes of another Channel 9 show last week.
Footy Classified co-host Craig Hutchison, who hosts the Monday edition of the show, said earlier this week it was unclear if McGuire would be in the hot seat on Wednesday night.
McGuire was forced to hand in his resignation at Collingwood last month after reportedly losing support from the board following the conclusion from the club’s internal investigation that the club was guilty of fostering “systemic racism”.
At the release of the so-called “Do Better” report McGuire was widely criticised for his “trainwreck” press conference in which he declared the occasion a “historic and proud day” for his football club.
Just a few days later, McGuire’s reign as the club’s president was over.
Eddie McGuire facing the music after the “Do Better” report.Source:Supplied
McGuire said in his emotional press conference after announcing his resignation that he intended to take a break away from his busy schedule, having also last year ended his Triple M Breakfast show in Melbourne.
However, The Herald Sun reported earlier this month there were serious concerns from those close to McGuire about his withdrawal from his usual social connections.
The report claimed figures close to McGuire believe he was in a “very bad way”.
McGuire had been left so devastated at being shown the door by his former footy club that his ongoing involvement with Fox Footy and Channel 9’s Footy Classified were under serious question in the weeks leading up to the 2021 AFL season.
An undisclosed source told The Herald sun earlier this month McGuire had been crushed at his Collingwood exit.
During his final speech as Pies president in front of Pies players and staff, as well as his family and reporters, McGuire said “with the indulgence of my media partners, I’m going to take a break for a little while to regroup and heal”.
Now he’s back.
Source: Read Full Article