The 2020 NFL draft is two and a half weeks away and free agency has hit a near standstill.
Rebuilding teams and contenders alike will be looking toward the 85th Annual National Football League Player Selection Meeting to acquire players who can fill vital roles for a 2020 season that anybody associated with the NFL and its fans hope takes place if/when the coronavirus pandemic subsides.
From Super Bowl LIV opponents — Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers — to non-playoff teams such as the Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, we take a look at the glaring draft needs for 16 expected 2020 contenders.
Jimmy Garoppolo and the 49ers could be on the lookout to pick a receiver high in the upcoming draft. (Photo: Kyle Terada, USA TODAY Sports)
PHOTOS: Notable players changing teams in 2020
NFL news, analysis and more
- Power rankings: After several marquee players moved to new teams in free agency, the NFL landscape has undergone a big shift.
- How Cowboys can fill key positions in draft: It didn't take long for the gravity of free agency to hit the Cowboys.
- Can Buccaneers find Tom Brady's right-hand man in draft? Brady has gravitated toward a very specific kind of player during the latter part of his career, and these draft prospects might fit the bill.
- Bears have 'open competition' at QB: The Bears didn't merely acquire Nick Foles as an insurance policy.
- Drafting from a brewery? Sean Payton says Saints' draft war room at a brewery might be the "safest setup" in the league.
- First-year NFL coach leading team from different state: Kevin Stefanski delayed his move to Cleveland amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- NFL weighs changing future Super Bowl host city: The shift to a 17-game regular season could prompt the NFL to move the 2024 Super Bowl.
The Saints are reloading to give Drew Brees another shot at reaching the Super Bowl. (Photo: Derick Hingle, USA TODAY Sports)
PHOTOS: NFL's greatest players ever by jersey number
2020 NFL draft: Mocks, rankings, etc.
- Latest mock draft: An updated first-round projection for #MockDraftMonday. Is there a big QB twist in store for the first round?
- Tua Tagovailoa gets positive medical outlook: The projected first-round QB has faced plenty of questions about his surgically repaired hip.
- Pro day cancellations forcing changes to draft process: Gone are some of the numbers garnered at pro days that decision-makers like to crunch as they becoming increasingly reliant on advanced metrics.
- Cowboys offer peek into pre-draft meeting with QB prospect: Teams have resorted to Zoom and FaceTime to interview players.
- Position-by-position prospect rankings: How do the players in this year's draft class stack up following the events of the NFL scouting combine?
- Meet the prospects: It's always draft season at Draft Wire, which is providing in-depth scouting reports on many of the key players in the 2020 draft.
Could a team swing a trade to move up and draft Tua Tagovailoa? (Photo: John Glaser, USA TODAY Sports)
PHOTOS: NFL mock draft | Best of the scouting combine
Join our NFL Facebook group!
This is how you can help pass the time during the quarantine, football fans. Join The Ruling Off the Field, engage in friendly debate and conversation with fellow football fans and our NFL insiders. Do the right thing, sign up now!
The Ruling Off the Field – USA TODAY Sports NFL Facebook group logo (Photo: USA TODAY)
Source: Read Full Article