ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has confirmed the Melbourne Storm could potentially be relocated to NSW due to the latest COVID-19 spike in Victoria.
With Victoria currently in lockdown for five days – and potentially longer – the club may be forced to move before the borders shut, with the NRL reportedly looking at their options as of Monday.
Seven Storm players were scratched from the All Stars game due to the potential risks and Danny Weidler revealed the whole club could be moved as it was last year.
Watch Live & On-Demand coverage of NRL pre-season trial matches on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial now & start streaming instantly >
CASUALTY WARD: Stars drop like flies as Sharks player ‘placed in induced coma’
TRANSFER CENTRE: Panthers lock up Origin star with contract extension
PREDICTED TEAMS: How EVERY side will line up for Round 1
STATE OF PLAY: Every NRL roster analysed and the best players without a contract
LATEST: NRL giving serious consideration to moving Storm out of Victoria as early as today due to concerns about virus. Move to NSW. Meetings today @9NewsSyd
“NRL giving serious consideration to moving Storm out of Victoria as early as today due to concerns about virus. Move to NSW. Meetings today,” Weidler tweeted.
Speaking to SEN 1170 Breakfast with Vossy, V’landys flagged the possibility of moving the Storm as early as Monday.
“We’re going to look at the Melbourne Storm today,” V’landys said.
“We may take them out and bring them to a resort in New South Wales where they can train in isolation.
“There’s a possibility at some point that the New South Wales and Victorian borders may close, and we can’t take that risk.
MORE NRL NEWS
10 MOST IMPROVED PREDICTIONS: Resurrected superstars and a 191cm beast
CHARGED: Former NRL star charged over alleged ‘domestic altercation’
‘NOT DEALING WITH KIDS’: Maguire responds to player unrest over and Benji axing
‘THOUGHT THEY HAD HIM’: Bellamy link to Sharks in three-way super coach battle
“We’ve got to be two to three steps ahead, we were last year, and we hope to be again this year.
“We’ve got strategies for all scenarios, we’re ready.”
The move would be a massive blow for the Storm players, who would have been hoping to be based near the comforts of their homes this year after playing out of a suitcase for most of the 2020 season.
Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!
V’landys revealed that the NRL’s own expert is in contact with health officials in both states, and the game is considering all options in regards to bubbles for this season.
“We’ve got to be prepared, like we were last year,” V’landys said.
“The situation in Victoria may possibly get worse, so we will be looking at various options today.
“We have our own expert who keeps in touch with the health authorities. We get very good information, and we have set ourselves three options.
“One option at the moment was have our players have life as normal – they may have now gone out the window with what’s happened in Victoria.
“We have a medium scenario, where we allow players certain freedoms and not as harsh as what they were last year. The third one was what we had last year.
“The matter that will change everything is the vaccine and how successful the rollout is.”
Originally published asV’landys admits Storm may be forced to relocate to NSW over Victoria’s COVID-19 spike
Source: Read Full Article