Bristol Rovers win 7-0 to pip Northampton to secure promotion

Bristol Rovers in seventh heaven! Gas win SEVEN-NIL against Scunthorpe to pip Northampton to League Two automatic promotion on final day of the season – as Joey Barton’s side finish third on goals scored

  • Bristol Rovers thrashed Scunthorpe 7-0 to pip Northampton to promotion
  • Rovers struck five times in the second half to finish third on goals scored
  • Match held up for 16 minutes after a pitch invasion at the Memorial Stadium

Bristol Rovers snatched the final automatic promotion spot from League Two in barely believable fashion as they thrashed Scunthorpe 7-0 to pip Northampton to third place on goals scored. 

Rovers struck five times in the second half to make up their goal difference deficit on the Cobblers, which had been five at the start of the day, and seal promotion by the barest of margins. 

An incredible game was halted for 16 minutes after Elliot Anderson’s 85th-minute seventh goal prompted a pitch invasion, but Rovers saw out the match when play resumed, while Northampton’s 3-1 win at Barrow was not enough. 

Bristol Rovers snatched automatic promotion from League Two on goals scored

Elliot Anderson made it 7-0 with five minutes left to move Rovers into the top three

Anderson’s cross was put into his own goal by the Iron’s Oliver Lobley after 18 minutes to give the hosts an early lead. 

Connor Taylor then headed in another Anderson cross four minutes later to double the advantage as the Gas looked to overhaul Northampton, who had made an even faster start. 

Aaron Collins drove in from the edge of the area in the 53rd minute, with Anthony Evans rifling in to make it four nine minutes later. 

Bristol Rovers boss Joey Barton pleaded with fans to clear the pitch on Saturday

Delirious fans invaded the pitch at 7-0 and the match was then held for 16 minutes

Evans’ sublime free-kick after 76 minutes gave the home side belief the unthinkable might just be achievable and that increased when Collins tapped home seconds later. 

Anderson sparked delirium in the stands when he headed in after 85 minutes to make it 7-0, with a pitch invasion leading to referee Charles Breakspear suspending the game. 

After a 16-minute break, the players returned to finish the match, Rovers seeing it out seal promotion. 

They eventually played out the final five minutes and stoppage time without incident

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article