The Premier League has confirmed 18 positive coronavirus tests among players and staff in its latest round of testing – more than twice as many as the previous week.
A total of 1,479 players and club staff members were tested between December 21-27; the 18 people who have tested positive are self-isolating.
- EFL confident over fixture schedule after postponements
- Sunderland confirm Accrington game postponed
- Bristol City shut down training ground after Covid-19 outbreak
- Lambert: Lack of testing dangerous | Physio calls for circuit breaker
Arsenal’s Brazilian centre-back Gabriel is among those who have tested positive and will now isolate in line with Government protocols.
Manchester City’s Premier League game at Everton on Monday night was postponed because of a Covid-19 outbreak among the City squad.
It is the second Premier League game this season to be called off due to a coronavirus outbreak, after Aston Villa vs Newcastle earlier this month.
Several games in the EFL over the festive period have also been postponed due to outbreaks.
On Christmas Day, Manchester City announced that Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker had tested positive for coronavirus, along with two members of club staff. The club have now closed their first-team training ground.
Previous Premier League test results
- Round 1: 31 Aug-6 Sep – 1,605 tested, with three testing positive.
- Round 2: 7-13 Sep – 2,131 tested, with four testing positive.
- Round 3: 14-20 Sep – 1,574 tested, with three testing positive.
- Round 4: 21-27 Sep – 1,595 tested, with 10 testing positive.
- Round 5: 28 Sep-4 Oct – 1,587 tested, with nine testing positive.
- Round 6: 5-11 Oct – 1,128 tested, with five testing positive.
- Round 7: 12-18 Oct – 1,575 tested, with eight testing positive.
- Round 8: 19-25 Oct – 1,609 tested, with two testing positive.
- Round 9: 26 Oct-1 Nov – 1,446 tested, with four testing positive.
- Round 10: 2-8 Nov – 1,646 tested, with four testing positive.
- Round 11: 9-15 Nov – 1,207 tested, with 16 testing positive.
- Round 12: 16-22 Nov – 1,530 tested, with eight testing positive.
- Round 13: 23-29 Nov – 1,381 tested, with 10 testing positive.
- Round 14: 30 Nov-6 Dec – 1,483 tested with 14 testing positive.
- Round 15: 7-13 Dec – 1,549 tested with six testing positive.
- Round 16: 14-20 Dec – 1,569 tested with seven testing positive.
- Round 17: 21-27 Dec – 1,479 tested with 18 testing positive.
Win £250,000 for free on Wednesday!
Do not miss your chance to land the £250,000 in Wednesday's Super 6 round. Play for free, entries by 7:45pm.
Source: Read Full Article