Everton will not face action for refusing to release Richarlison for World Cup qualifiers after Brazil cancelled his call-up because the striker played in both the Copa America and Olympics
- Brazil have agreed to cancel Richarlison’s international call-up this month
- It means Everton will escape referral to FIFA for failing to release the striker
- Brazilian FA said the decision was based on its good relationship with Everton
- Brazil will press on with complaints against five other Premier League clubs
Brazil have agreed to cancel Richarlison’s international call-up for this month’s World Cup qualifiers because the striker played in both the Copa America and the Olympic Games, earlier this summer.
It means Everton will escape referral to FIFA for failing to release him and Rafa Bentiez can plan to include the 24-year-old for the next game, at home against Burnley after the international break.
The Brazilian FA said its good working relationship with Everton was behind the decision to relent on Richarlison.
Brazil have agreed to cancel Richarlison’s international call-up for World Cup qualifiers
But they intend to press on with complaints against five other Premier League clubs who have not released eight players selected by manager Tite for qualifiers against Chile, Argentina and Peru.
These players are Fabinho, Roberto Firmino and Alisson of Liverpool, Ederson and Gabriel Jesus of Manchester City, Thiago Silva of Chelsea, Fred of Manchester United and Raphinha of Leeds.
FIFA will be asked to invoke its five-day ban, ruling these eight out of one or two club fixtures.
The Brazilian FA said its good working relationship with Everton was behind the decision
Brazil have been seriously affected by the pact between Premier League clubs not to release players to play international games in red-list countries.
And boss Tite suffered another blow when Malcom and Claudinho were recalled by Zenit St Petersburg in the hope they will be available to face Chelsea, in the Champions League at Stamford Bridge on 14 September.
Zenit appear to have realised belatedly that their Brazilian stars would not be allowed into the UK without quarantine if they remained in South America.
Richarlison helped Brazil win the Copa America and Olympic gold earlier this summer
Malcom and Claudinho met up with the squad in Brazil, earlier this week, but, rather than fly to Chile for the first of the qualifiers they flew back to Russia on Wednesday.
The Brazilian FA lodged a complaint with FIFA and issued a statement, urging football’s governing body to deploy “all applicable punishments” upon Zenit.
A five-day ban would rule Malcom and Claudinho out of the game at Chelsea because it comes on the fifth day after Brazil’s qualifier against Peru, on Thursday 9 September.
Chile, Paraguay and Mexico are also thought to be considering complaints against English clubs for not releasing players.
Malcom has been recalled by Zenit St Petersburg amid growing fears of having to quarantine
The Russian’s have also instructed Claudinho to come back and miss Brazil’s remaining ties
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article