Everton ace Dominic Calvert-Lewin brought his mum to tears with news of his first-ever England call-up yesterday.
The Toffees striker rang his parents as soon as he got the text from Gareth Southgate that he was in the squad for next week's internationals.
“I’m a very, very proud man to get this first England call,” he said.
“I just phoned my mum and my dad, and my mum burst into tears.
“It’s something we’ve spoken about since I was a young boy.
“To get here now and get the call-up is a dream come true. I’m very happy.”
Calvert-Lewin is in the squad alongside Everton team-mates Jordan Pickford and Michael Keane.
“I found out with a text message [from the FA],” he added.
“Pickers and Keano were obviously named in the squad and they were saying, ‘Have you got the text yet?’.
“I went to my phone and saw the text message.
“I didn’t really know how to feel, if I’m being honest. I’ve thought about this moment so many times.
“To finally get that recognition of a senior England call-up, it’s something I’ve worked very hard for.
Gareth Southgate opens up on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spat after Mason Greenwood incident
“I’m very thankful to my manager at Everton and my teammates for helping me get here.”
Calvert-Lewin has earned the call up with eight goals in five games so far this season including his second hat-trick of the campaign in Wednesday's Carabao Cup win over West Ham.
The former Sheffield United youth ace could now get the chance to score his first England senior goal when the Three Lions take on Wales in a friendly before Nations League clashes with Belgium and Denmark.
He said: “If you play football as a kid, you dream of playing for your country. I’m no different.
Man Utd star Harry Maguire earns England recall as Gareth Southgate gets ruthless
“I’m enjoying my football, I’m confident on the pitch and I believe I’m going to score every time I step on the pitch.
“Hopefully that won’t be any different when I pull on an England shirt.”
Calvert-Lewin, who joined Everton in 2016 from the Blades, has really found his scoring form under Carlo Ancelotti at Goodison Park.
And he has been helped by an in-form side who have started the season with six-straight wins in all competitions.
Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!
Want to be on the ball with Jadon Sancho to Manchester United updates? Or perhaps you're a Chelsea fan wondering who on earth could join next?
Well then sign up for the brilliant new Daily Star Sport email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.
And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
The Everton striker added: “I'm enjoying my football, which is the main thing.
“You look at the chances being created and they are there for me so it’s my job to put them in the back of the net and I’m obviously enjoying being able to do that at the moment.
“I enjoyed all the goals as I had to think about what I was doing.
“It’s nice that what I’ve been working on – being more instinctive in the box and opposite movements – is coming off on the pitch.”
Source: Read Full Article