Liverpool icon Jamie Carragher admits Mohamed Salah was ‘let down’ by two Reds stars

Liverpool v Man City: Match in pictures

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Jamie Carragher has declared that Mohamed Salah was let down by Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino during Liverpool’s unsuccessful Premier League title bid last season. The Egyptian forward has enjoyed a stunning start to proceedings this time around, scoring nine goals from as many appearances in all competitions.

He is arguably one of the world’s best players on current form and is leading Liverpool’s attacking charge by example this season.

Salah has played every minute in the Premier League since the beginning of the campaign and was at his brilliant best against Manchester City on Sunday.

The 29-year-old provided an inch-perfect assist for Mane’s opener after half-time before scoring an incredible solo goal in the latter stages of the match.

However, Salah’s efforts were only rewarded with a single point thanks to Kevin De Bruyne’s late equaliser for City.

He is widely expected to serve as Liverpool’s key man once again this season after racking up 31 goals throughout the previous campaign.

JUST IN: Donny van de Beek’s agent ‘working hard’ to seal Man Utd exit

The Reds only managed to secure a third-placed finish in the Premier League, 17 points adrift of eventual champions City, in spite of Salah’s impressive haul.

Carragher has since claimed that Liverpool may have fared better if Salah was adequately supported by Mane and Firmino, who failed to match his attacking return.

“When’s he ever not been on fire? This guy, he’s an absolute superstar right now,” the former Liverpool and England defender told Sky Sports.

“You could argue he’s the best player in the Premier League right now with the form he’s actually in. He’s been electric.

“At times last season he was almost let down, if you like, by the rest of that famous front three but he’s never, ever dropped those standards.

“And at this moment, in the situation when he’s got less than two years left on his contract, it’s just unthinkable he won’t be playing for Liverpool in the next 18 months.”

Salah is currently under contract until the summer of 2023 but is yet to agree to an extension, with talks said to be ongoing behind closed doors.

Liverpool have tied down a number of their most important players since the end of last season, including the likes of Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jordan Henderson.

FOLLOW OUR NEW DAILY EXPRESS SPORT INSTAGRAM PAGE

However, they have been unable to find a solution over Salah’s future, with the forward reportedly demanding a significantly higher wage than he is currently on.

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp recently insisted that he is not concerning himself with the situation as he looks to lead the club to Premier League glory once again this season.

“There’s nothing really to say, especially from me as I am not involved,” Klopp told reporters last month.

“The only thing I’m really interested in is how Mo looks, how sharp and committed he is at the moment, and that’s absolutely spot on.

“He looks really good. There is nothing else to say.”

Source: Read Full Article