Manchester United have demanded the FA clear Edinson Cavani of being a racist.
The FA have hit Cavani with a three-match ban and £100,000 fine after an Independent Commission hearing found him guilty of bringing the game into disrepute over an Instagram post following United's win at Southampton last month.
Cavani responded to a message from a friend on social media with the words 'Gracías negrito', which is considered an affectionate term in his homeland of Uruguay.
He deleted the post and apologised after being told it could cause offence – but was then charged with misconduct.
The 33-year-old will now miss the New Year's Day game with Aston Villa as well as the EFL Cup semi-final against Manchester City and FA Cup third-round clash with Watford on January 9.
Cavani pleaded guilty to the charge and didn't attend the hearing in person.
But United insist Cavani made an innocent mistake and have urged the FA to make it clear in the written findings of the hearing that the striker is not racist.
United have also asked the FA to put the proceeds of the fine towards anti-racism initiatives and a club spokesperson said: "As he has stated, Edinson Cavani wasn't aware that his words could have been misconstrued and he sincerely apologised for the post and to anyone who was offended.
"Despite his honest belief that he was simply sending an affectionate thank you in response to a congratulatory message from a close friend, he chose not to contest the charge out of respect for, and solidarity with, The FA and the fight against racism in football.
"While it is clear that context and intent are key factors, we note that the independent Regulatory Commission was required to impose a minimum three-game suspension.
"The club trusts that the independent Regulatory Commission will make it clear in its written reasons that Edinson Cavani is not a racist, nor was there any racist intent in relation to his post."
Source: Read Full Article