De Jong quizzed on Man Utd transfer links in June
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United heavyweights ‘frustrated’ Erik ten Hag by refusing to cough up the cash for Frenkie de Jong, according to reports. The Barcelona star was a priority transfer target for the Red Devils during the summer window. However, the fallen Premier League giants ultimately decided to pull the plug and recruit Casemiro from Real Madrid instead.
Manchester United identified De Jong as a priority target upon appointing Ten Hag, who replaced Ralf Rangnick as manager.
But while the Red Devils agreed an overall £72million deal with Barcelona for the 25-year-old, they ended up missing out.
Now, according to Algemeen Dagblad, members of the United hierarchy decided to pull the plug partly due to ‘doubts about the price tag’.
On top of the fee, they were also prepared to make De Jong one of the best-paid players at the club with a salary close to £350,000-a-week.
But United ultimately considered De Jong to be too expensive, which is why they forked out for Casemiro instead.
It’s said Ten Hag was left ‘frustrated’ at a deal for the Netherlands international continuously being put on hold, too.
Want the new Man Utd shirt? Click here to buy it.
And United feel they’d have been able to sign De Jong if they had been more ‘decisive’ in the spring, when they first made their interest clear.
While Casemiro was tipped to be a huge signing for the Red Devils, fans are still waiting to see the best from the Brazil international.
He’s been placed on the bench for matches against the likes of Southampton, Leicester and Arsenal in the Premier League.
And though he started against Real Sociedad on Thursday, the veteran put in a flat display as his team crashed to defeat.
United will be hoping Casemiro can recover from his slow start to live up to his blockbuster billing in upcoming matches.
And when it comes to De Jong, it’s possible the Red Devils will reignite their interest in the Barcelona star when the January transfer window comes along.
DON’T MISS: What Ten Hag has told his players about the Glazers
Overall, United did have a solid transfer window as they look to bounce back from last season’s nightmare.
Tyrell Malacia was the first player to arrive, with the 23-year-old joining from Feyenoord having previously looked likely to move to Lyon.
Christian Eriksen followed on a free transfer, with the Denmark international joining after his Brentford contract expired.
United proceeded to spend big on Lisandro Martinez, who has already become a cult hero.
And, after the Red Devils signed Casemiro, they then forked out a massive £84.5m on Antony – who scored on his first match for the club against Arsenal.
Opinion: The Glazers have five reasons to sell Man Utd
Regarding De Jong, meanwhile, Jamie Carragher thinks United’s failure to land the Barcelona star – as well as Adrien Rabiot – was ‘embarrassing’ for them.
“As for United? Well, just look at the Adrien Rabiot deal, which collapsed this week due to the player’s wage demands” Carragher wrote in his Daily Telegraph column.
“If you are a club like United, you should not be pulling out of transfers — after agreeing a fee with the selling team — due to wage demands.
“Someone at the club should already know what sort of salary the player wants, long before it reaches this point.
“They have also spent weeks chasing Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong, and now they are running around trying to sign Casemiro from Real Madrid.
Want the latest football news? Join our brand new Facebook group by clicking here
“From De Jong, to Rabiot, to Casemiro. They are all different players with different styles and ages.
“What is the plan here? Where is the strategy? It is embarrassing.”
Ten Hag has confirmed United are unlikely to add to their squad before the summer transfer window closes at 11pm on Thursday.
“I think so, for this window it will be the end,” Ten Hag said. “But when there is opportunity you have to be always alert.
“Aaron will stay in. This squad we will go from September to minimum January.”
Source: Read Full Article