Michail Antonio commits future to West Ham until 2024 with new deal

Michail Antonio commits his future to West Ham until summer 2024 with a new two-year deal as his fine form for the Hammers is rewarded

  • Michail Antonio has signed a new deal until 2024 with the option of another year 
  • The 31-year-old has been rewarded for his form this term after scoring nine goals
  • The Jamaica international arrived in east London from Nottingham Forest in 2015
  • The striker has been a revelation since joining scoring 55 goals for the Hammers

West Ham striker Michail Antonio has been rewarded for his fine form this season with a new contract extension.

The 31-year-old has signed a new contract that sees him commit his future to the Hammers until summer 2024, with the option of another year.

Antonio has been a revelation since arriving in east London from Nottingham Forest in 2015, scoring 55 goals for West Ham.

West Ham striker Michail Antonio (pictured)  has signed a new contract until summer 2024

The Jamaica international has enjoyed a fine season so far, scoring nine goals and providing six assists in the opening half of the campaign. 

His return of 10 goals in 26 outings last season helped David Moyes’ men secure Europa League qualification, and he is already on course to better that tally this term in just 19 appearances so far. 

The club confirmed the deal on Friday with a statement that read: ‘Everyone at the club is pleased that Michail has agreed to extend his stay at London Stadium and looks forward to many more goals, assists and celebrations in the future.’ 

Manager Moyes, via The Athletic, said: ‘We’ve extended one or two contracts behind the scenes.

Antonio has been a key member of David Moyes’ high-flying Hammers side in recent seasons

‘We did Michail’s contract about two months ago, but we’ve also done another couple of players.

‘We’ve gone about our business quietly, trying to do things behind the scenes and trying to do things correctly.’

It has only been 13 months since the Wandsworth man last penned an extension, which tied him down until the summer of 2023.

But West Ham had the option to extend that deal and, as they eye an unlikely route into next season’s Champions League, that is exactly what they have done.

The striker scored has nine goals and providing six assists in the opening half of the campaign

Despite agreeing his own new deal, Antonio has called for the Hammers to bring in some competition for him up front at the London Stadium

‘One thing that we definitely need is a striker,’ Antonio said on the Footballer’s Football Podcast on Thursday.

‘I like a challenge, I always want my shirt and want to play. We’ve got quite a few injuries at the back, we’ve lost Kurt [Zouma], Angelo [Ogbonna] and Cress [Aaron Cresswell], so we must be looking at centre-halves as well.’   

The east London outfit are also said to be eyeing a move for Everton outcast Lucas Digne

West Ham boss Moyes is reportedly eyeing a deal for Everton outcast Lucas Digne this month.

Digne, who has been linked with moves to Chelsea and Newcastle in January, appears set to leave Goodison Park amid a fallout with manager Rafa Benitez.

West Ham are one of several clubs vying for his signature, while a new striker to provide backup for Antonio is also believed to be a priority.




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article