‘It is dead in the water’: Newcastle boss Steve Bruce believes £300m Saudi-led takeover will not happen after meeting with Mike Ashley… despite the Premier League insisting the deal CAN still go ahead
- Steve Bruce had dinner with Mike Ashley before the owner released a statement
- Ashley accused the Premier League of not acting appropriately in the process
- There was also suggestion of legal action against the Premier League as well
- But the League themselves hit back and said the £300m deal could yet happen
- Bruce however maintains that the best policy for the club is to now move on
Steve Bruce says Newcastle’s Saudi-led takeover is ‘dead in the water’ after meeting with Mike Ashley this week.
The head coach had dinner with Ashley and his players on Wednesday night, during which the owner released a statement accusing the Premier League of not acting ‘appropriately’ throughout the takeover process.
There was also the suggestion of legal action against the League and that has raised hope among some supporters that the £300million deal could be revived.
Steve Bruce says Newcastle’s £300million Saudi-led takeover is now ‘dead in the water’
The boss had dinner with Mike Ashley and his squad before the owner’s accusatory statement
However, Bruce says that is unlikely and he wants everyone to forget about talk of new owners, despite the Premier League insisting on Thursday the deal can still go ahead if the ‘appropriate information’ is provided.
‘It doesn’t look as if it’s happened, so for me, it’s getting on with business as usual. It hasn’t happened so let’s forget about takeovers and move on,’ he said.
‘The one thing a takeover does is put everybody in a position of uncertainty, from the manager to the tea lady. That’s never healthy.
‘We’ve all said it would have been wonderful for the club. The owner thought it would take Newcastle to a different level because of the people involved, so that would have been exciting for the club. But it looks like it’s dead in the water.’
Ashley blamed the Premier League’s behaviour for the failed Saudi-led takeover bid
And despite the Premier League insisting it can still go ahead Bruce says it is time to move on
Bruce unveiled new signings Callum Wilson, Ryan Fraser and Jamal Lewis before his meeting with Ashley, and he has thanked the owner for £35million’s worth of backing in the transfer market.
‘We needed help like we had last week and I’m grateful for that,’ he said. ‘In certain transfers, Mike had to flex his muscles a little bit, which was good to see.
‘I don’t have everyday dealings with him, he’s got so much going on in his life. The most important thing is the relationship a manger has with his CEO (Lee Charnley). You’re not going to see eye to eye all the time, but when three or four people walk through the door of the calibre we’ve had, it obviously helps.’
He unveiled new signings Callum Wilson, Ryan Fraser and Jamal Lewis before meeting Ashley
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article