Newcastle v Spurs match in pictures
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Newly-bought Newcastle United have been hit by a fresh blow in their search for a new manager after Antonio Conte reportedly rejected an offer to take over at St James’ Park. Steve Bruce is currently in charge at the Magpies, but time appears to be running out for the Englishman.
The club’s new Saudi Arabian ownership allowed him to stay in his post for Sunday’s visit of Tottenham.
It was their first game as owners after taking over from Mike Ashley, but Bruce’s men put in a poor performance.
Goals from Tanguy Ndombele, Harry Kane and Heung-Min Son sunk the Magpies, leaving them still winless after eight Premier League games.
The defeat has ramped up the pressure on Bruce, who admitted after the game that his future is out of his hands.
“I’ll wait until they see fit and we’ll see what they are going to say. You better ask somebody else about that one,” he said when questioned about the safety of his position.
JUST IN: Newcastle chief Staveley makes Bruce sack ‘priority’ after Spurs loss
One of the favourites to take over was understood to be former Chelsea boss Conte, who left Inter Milan in the summer.
Conte has a remarkable track record in management, winning four Serie A titles across spells at Juventus and Inter, as well as the Premier League with the Blues.
His reputation for rapidly achieving success at clubs who had been previously struggling marked him out as a clear frontrunner for the Newcastle job.
The Magpies are able to offer transfer funds far above their closest rivals in the Premier League, an obvious requirement for bringing Conte in.
Newcastle’s much-improved XI if Unai Emery replaces Steve Bruce (ANALYSIS)
Newcastle owners’ stance on sacking Bruce after Spurs defeat emerges (NEWS)
Jesse Lingard’s representatives ‘keeping an eye’ on Newcastle progress (TRANSFERS)
But it appears that despite their new-found billions, Newcastle have been rebuffed in their efforts to bring Conte in.
According to Italian journalist Fabio Santini, Conte has flatly rejected an offer from the North East side.
Instead, the Italian manager is said to want to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Manchester United and is waiting to be approached by the Red Devils.
“Antonio Conte has refused a pharaonic offer from Newcastle. The reason? He is waiting for a call from Manchester United,” Santini told Il Processo.
United are much closer to being able to win trophies than Newcastle, having nought Jadon Sancho, Raphael Varane and Cristiano Ronaldo in the summer transfer window.
Despite that hefty outlay though, the Red Devils are struggling under Solskjaer’s management, winning just two of their last seven games.
Their latest defeat came on Saturday away at Leicester, when they conceded three goals in the final 15 minutes to fall to a 4-2 loss.
They face a challenging run of fixtures before the next international break, with the pressure ramping up on Solskjaer.
Source: Read Full Article