Ole Gunnar Solskjaer backs Anthony Martial to rekindle his form as Manchester United boss throws support behind misfiring Frenchman amid goalscoring drought
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backed striker Anthony Martial to rekindle his form
- The Frenchman has scored just five goals from 25 games this campaign
- Solskjaer, however, says it is only a matter of time before he is back to his best
- The United boss also hit out at disgusting racist abuse aimed at two of his stars
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backed Anthony Martial to come through his lean spell after the Manchester United striker suffered an alarming loss of form.
United’s 23-goal top scorer last season has only been on target five times in 25 games this term and has not scored on his last seven outings.
However, Solskjaer believes it is only a matter of time before Martial is back to his best as United prepare to face Arsenal at the Emirates this evening (sat).
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (R) has backed Anthony Martial (L) to rekindle his goalscoring form
The Manchester United striker has struck just five goals from 25 games so far this season
‘His talent will always take him through, I’ve got no doubt about that whatsoever,’ said the United manager.
‘Yes, he’s missed a couple of chances but that happens to everyone. It’s just being ready when the chance comes.
‘Just be mentally ready, don’t be frustrated. I’ve been there myself going through patches when you don’t really score goals.
‘He keeps practising in training so we know how good he is and we know he will come good.’ Martial and teammate Axel Tuanzebe were subjected to racist abuse after Wednesday’s shock home defeat to bottom-of-the-table Sheffield United, and Solskjaer believes social media platforms must do more to tackle the problem.
However, Solskjaer says Martial has the talent to come through this barren goal spell
The United boss also condemned the disgusting racist abuse suffered by defender Axel Tuanzebe and striker Anthony Martial on social media after the Sheffield United defeat
‘It’s just incredible we still have this abuse in 2021,’ said Solskjaer. ‘We’ve been campaigning for a long time now with the Premier League and I think it’s working, but there are still some people that haven’t got it.
‘They hide behind social media to be anonymous. It’s unacceptable and it’s disgusting. They’re not Man United fans when this happens. We’re all standing behind every single one of our players.
‘I think the social media platforms need to be looked at. If you can create an anonymous account and abuse people, it’s not right. We’ll work together with everyone to stop this nonsense.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article