Pep Guardiola 'in talks to extend his Manchester City deal'

Pep Guardiola ‘in talks to extend his Manchester City deal with club convinced he is still the right man to take them forward’ despite latest Champions League failure

  • Manchester City think it would be wrong to look beyond Pep Guardiola
  • The club remain convinced he is the right man despite Saturday’s loss to Lyon 
  • Guardiola has 10 months left on deal but talks to extend his stay are underway 
  • He is said to be determined to go again with City in quest for European glory 

Manchester City are reportedly in discussions to extend Pep Guardiola’s contract despite his failure to deliver the Champions League.

It has been a trophy which has evaded Guardiola since he took over the reigns at City and there was more European heartbreak on Saturday night as his side crashed out at the quarter-final stage against Lyon.

Despite this latest setback, City remain convinced that Guardiola is the man to take the club forward.

Manchester City are in talks to extend the contract of manager Pep Guardiola 

City stars were left heartbroken after Lyon knocked them out of Champions League last week

The Spaniard only has 10 months left on his contract and according to The Telegraph, talks about extending his deal beyond June 2021 have already began.

They claims that City feel it would be wrong to look beyond a manager of Guardiola’s calibre despite some reports saying they are already lining up former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino as his replacement if he doesn’t sign a new deal.

However, that does not look likely at present with Guardiola immersed in City’s plans to re-shape the squad amid their quest to finally win the Champions League.

The 49-year-old has never made it a secret that he has ambitions beyond City with Juventus a club often linked to him while he himself has expressed a desire to take a nation to a major finals.

Mauricio Pochettino has been earmarked as City’s next boss should Guardiola leave the club

Guardiola is said to be gearing up to re-challenge himself in quest to win Champions League

But for the time being, Guardiola intends to stay at City and is determined to re-challenge himself after another Champions League failure.

The club have already invested a considerable amount of money this summer as they look to improve their squad for next season.

Nathan Ake has joined for £41million from Bournemouth while exciting young winger Ferran Torres has been signed from Valencia. 

Guardiola has plans to bolster his defence and there will be more arrivals – and exits – over the coming weeks at City after their underwhelming campaign culminated in the 3-1 defeat against Lyon last week.


Share this article

Source: Read Full Article