Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has reportedly contacted executives at the ‘big six’ clubs to request they relinquish their positions on the league’s sub-committes.
Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham shook the footballing world to its core earlier this week, when they announced they had agreed to join the controversial European Super League.
Had the tournament been approved, it would have effectively replaced the current UEFA European competitions, setting up a closed shop at the top of the continent’s game.
After Sunday’s announcement, the six English clubs received universal criticism, with governing bodies, rival clubs and supporters all voicing their displeasure.
In a dramatic move, all six subsequently pulled out of the doomed tournament, but are still set to face a backlash.
Before their withdrawal, the 14 remaining top-flight teams scheduled crisis talks where possible sanctions for the rebel six were discussed.
And despite their U-turn, Sky News have reported that Masters has personally been in touch with a number of high-level executives, offering them an ultimatum.
It is suggested that Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, along with bosses from Arsenal, United, Liverpool and City have been informed they will need to step down voluntarily, or face being removed against their will.
Buck is currently a part of the Premier League’s audit and remuneration committee, while Arsenal and Man City chief executives Vinai Venkatesham and Ferran Soriano have been asked to step down from the Club Strategic Advisory Group.
United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who announced he would leave the role at the end of the current season, and Liverpool’s Tom Werner have also been asked to leave their roles in the Club Broadcast Advisory Group.
Spurs are not believed to have any executives in the affected committees, but the move does mark the start of what could be length debates on how to punish the clubs that attempted the breakaway.
Meanwhile, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin, who was highly critical of the English clubs in the middle of the process, has now welcomed back the six, looking to build unity.
“I said yesterday that it is admirable to admit a mistake and these clubs made a big mistake,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.
“But they are back in the fold now and I know they have a lot to offer not just to our competitions but to the whole of the European game.
Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip
Source: Read Full Article