Steve Bruce reportedly won’t be given the sack before Newcastle’s proposed takeover goes through, should Mike Ashley agree to sell the club.
Newcastle fans are eagerly awaiting news of a Saudi Arabian-backed takeover with widespread reports of a deal being close to being agreed.
News on Wednesday saw the Saudi Arabian state settle an alleged piracy dispute with Qatar-based broadcaster beIN Sports, which own rights to show Premier League matches in the Middle East.
That means approval from the Premier League is now edging closer after the consortium proved the Saudi state would not have control of the club.
The Public Investment Fund (PIF), which is expected to provide 80% of funds for the deal thought to be in the region of £300m deal, will be seen as separate to the state and therefore pass the Premier League owners’ and directors’ test.
But while Magpies fans begin to get excited about the end of the Ashley era, there looks set to be no imminent change regarding Bruce’s future.
The Independent claim it would cost the club in excess of £6m to dismiss the 60-year-old before his contract expired.
It seems Ashley will now leave the decision on Bruce’s future to the new owners, should the takeover go through.
Large sections of the Newcastle fan base want Bruce out with their team registering just three points after seven Premier League games, leaving them second from bottom in the table.
The Newcastle United Supporters Trust has even urged the club to part company with him after carrying out a snap poll in the wake of their defeat to Wolves and 94.3% of those who responded said Bruce should resign or be sacked.
Bruce has made it clear he will not leave the job of his own accord, meaning there could be no managerial change before the proposed takeover goes through.
Last month, when asked whether he had been given assurances by the club about his future, Bruce said: ‘It’s not all about me.
‘I’m only here to only do what is best for the club, to keep us moving along and it’s for other people to answer that.
‘I will continue to do my best. I’m never going to walk away from the challenge. That’s for sure.’
Newcastle’s next match after the international break sees them host Tottenham on Sunday, October 17.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news onFacebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Source: Read Full Article