Tuchel: Chelsea 'have enough reasons to move on' from Lukaku interview

Thomas Tuchel insists Chelsea ‘have enough reasons to move on’ from Romelu Lukaku’s controversial interview in Italy… with Belgian restored to starting XI for Carabao Cup semi-final against Tottenham

  • Romelu Lukaku was fined at least a week’s wages following Sky Italia interview
  • The Belgian was dropped for Chelsea’s 2-2 draw against Liverpool on Sunday 
  • The 28-year-old was then forced to offer a grovelling apology to Blues fans
  • Thomas Tuchel restored him to the Chelsea XI against Tottenham in League Cup 

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel insists the club have moved on from Romelu Lukaku’s controversial Sky Italia interview.

The £97.5million summer signing will be fined at least a week’s wages after confessing to being unhappy under Tuchel and flirting with former club Inter Milan in a bombshell interview last week.

The Belgium striker, 28, was subsequently dropped for Sunday’s 2-2 draw versus Liverpool amid the fall-out from the interview, before he issued a grovelling apology to the club’s fans earlier this week promising to restore trust.

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel (centre) insists the club have moved on from Romelu Lukaku’s controversial interview

Lukaku confessed to being unhappy under Tuchel and flirted with former club Inter Milan

The former Manchester United star was however restored to the Blues starting XI for the first time since the interview in their Carabao Cup semi-final first leg against Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.

And speaking ahead of the game, Tuchel said both parties have accepted the interview happened and that they are now focused on protecting him and restoring him as a key player in the side. 

Asked if he had planned to start Lukaku against Spurs, Tuchel told Sky Sports: ‘He is against his old coach [Antonio Conte], it is a home match and he is our player. 

‘This was the plan, but it was also the plan last match and it did not work out. I am happy he is on the pitch today.’

The Belgium striker, 28, was subsequently dropped for Sunday’s 2-2 draw versus Liverpool

The former Man United striker issued a grovelling apology to Chelsea fans earlier this week

When asked if his inclusion represented the beginning of a new chapter, the German added: ‘For us yes, it is also matters what we focus on. You can read or listen to this interview 100 times, it will not get better and will not make it better.

‘But we can shift our focus. We accept it happened, he accepted it happened and we have enough reasons to move on and stay positive, and protect him now and push him because he is and wants to be our player and he wants to be a key player.’

When asked if he wants to make it up to his team-mates, Tuchel said: ‘Well, yes I think he expressed this very clearly and now we move on.’  

Lukaku is understood to earn in the region of £325,000-per-week before bonuses, and it is thought he will be fined that amount at least.

He was then restored to the starting XI for the Blues’ League Cup semi-final against Spurs

‘To the fans, I’m sorry for the upset that I caused. You guys know the connection that I have with this club since my teenage years so I totally understand you guys being upset,’ said Lukaku on Monday.

‘Obviously, it’s up to me now to restore your trust and I’ll do my best to show commitment every day on the training ground and trying to make sure we win games.

‘To the manager I apologised and I said it to my team-mates and the board, because I think it was not the right moment (to do the interview).

‘I want to move forward from this and make sure that we start winning football games and I perform for the best team in the best manner.’ 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article