Euro 96 is the last major football tournament to be held on English soil and took place from June 8 to June 30, 1996. Matches were staged in eight cities all over the country and the Three Lions put their poor record in knock-out tournament football aside as they took on Spain in the quarter-final at Wembley on June 22, 1996.
Who won the Spain vs England quarter-final in Euro 96?
The first quarter-final between the hosts and Spain ended goalless.
Extra time was required and the golden goal was in play for the first time.
Unfortunately, it was not forthcoming and Euro 96 had its first penalty shoot-out.
- Euro 96 on ITV full schedule: How to watch England games
The Three Lions have endured their fair share of spot-kick heartache over the years and while they’ve had some successes, their record is bleak.
However, the quarter-final clash eventually saw Terry Venables’ men win 4-2 on penalties, with goals from Alan Shearer, David Platt, Stuart Pearce and Paul Gascoigne.
More than 75,000 fans watched England get through to the next round.
England faced Germany in the semi-finals, but after finishing 1-1, they lost on penalties and were out of the tournament.
Who scored on penalties?
- 1 Alan Shearer [scores]
- 2 David Platt [scores]
- 3 Stuart Pearce [scores]
- 4 Paul Gascoigne [scores]
- 1 Hierro [misses]
- 2 Amor [scores]
- 3 Belsué [scores]
- 4 Nadal [misses]
England vs Scotland Euro 96 result: Who won classic Euro 96 match? [EXPLAINER]
Alan Shearer issues worrying Mike Ashley prediction [INTERVIEW]
Match of the Day pundit Alan Shearer ranks his top 10 PL captains [INSIGHT]
- Klopp told star linked to Liverpool has ‘biggest asset you can have’
What is England’s overall penalty shootout record?
England have been in eight penalty shootouts at major international tournaments, losing six and winning two.
Apart from the one win on penalties against Spain in the Euro 96 quarter-final, England have only won against Colombia in the 2018 World Cup last-16 stage.
Subsequently, they have lost to Germany and Portugal twice and Argentina and Italy once.
How to watch Spain vs England Euro 96 clash
The quarter-final between Spain vs England will be shown on Saturday, May 23 at 6.40pm
The match will be shown as part of ITV’s Euro 96 Relived schedule.
You can watch Spain vs England on ITV4 or you can live stream the game via ITV Hub.
England Euro 96 squad
- David Seaman (Arsenal)
- Gary Neville (Manchester United)
- Stuart Pearce (Nottingham Forest)
- Paul Ince (Inter Milan)
- Tony Adams (Arsenal)
- Gareth Southgate (Aston Villa)
- David Platt (Arsenal)
- Paul Gascoigne (Rangers)
- Alan Shearer (Blackburn Rovers)
- Teddy Sheringham (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Darren Anderton (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Steve Howey (Newcastle United)
- Tim Flowers (Blackburn Rovers)
- Nick Barmby (Middlesbrough)
- Jamie Redknapp (Liverpool)
- Sol Campbell (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Steve McManaman (Liverpool)
- Les Ferdinand (Newcastle United)
- Phil Neville (Manchester United)
- Steve Stone (Nottingham Forest)
- Robbie Fowler (Liverpool)
- Ian Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)
Source: Read Full Article